Coyote image is from John Nieto an

Coyote image is from John Nieto

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Medums #1 -Superman meets Supernatural

John Edwards is a medium. A while back he demonstrated his skills and recorded 24 episodes of his now famous, "Crossing Over" episodes for the WE channel. Since the death of Jane's sister (see previous posts), we were watching John Edwards, trying to make sense of this tragedy. I never took much stock in mediums or psychics. I did not think I would ever come face to face with a real one. Actually, I was quite skeptical and chalked most 'readings' up to parlor tricks. Yet when faced with Jane's overwhelming grief, I began to investigate the possibility of an afterlife and if there is an afterlife, can one communicate with those who  'cross- over'? So off we went to see John Edwards. There's nothing like a first-hand experience with a bona fide psychic to change your perception of the world.

We ended up in San Jose, California along with 35 other grieving souls. John Edwards and a colleague,  Jonathan Louis were doing an all day program. We were split into 2 groups, one in the morning with one medium and one in the afternoon with the other. I must say that John Edwards proved to be a major disappointment. I don't know what was going on with him, but most of his attention went to those in the front row. These people seemed to be repeat customers at his gatherings and who knows- maybe repeat business deserves loyalty and attention. One lady complained to the staff, but the staff said John Edwards has no control over which 'spirits' will come to him. Maybe it's true, but  his 'gatherings' are not  cheap and that combined with the pain of losing a loved one- well, you get a bit angry.  
  
Fortunately, the other medium, Jonathan Louis was remarkable. We actually liked him so much we went to see him again in Colorado. There are many stories to tell about these two meetings and over the course of  the Ronnie Coyote blog I will tell my stories and perhaps Jane will tell you her stories as well. But for now, let me tell you about Superman.

Jonathan Louis begins by opening to the 'other side' and relaying his impressions from 'them' to us, the audience. Often, he is drawn to a certain area of the audience or to a person and may say something like "Did you lose a son? I'm getting a younger energy." Most times, he's right on. At one point, he said to the group, "Superman,  for some reason I'm getting  the image of Superman." I did not respond.  Meanwhile Jane is nudging me to speak up. But, I'm kind of a shy guy and didn't say anything. So the moment passed.

In our 2nd meeting with Jonathan some 4 months later in Colorado, Superman came up again.  This time Jonathan came over to me and said, "I'm getting Superman." Well this time, I said, "Yes, Superman was important  to me."
   
Now most men of my generation  remember listening to or watching Superman.   I suspect most of us boys had a secret desire for super powers, but I doubt few took it to the extreme I did.
  
Here's my story: 

When I was four years old, Superman was my hero. I lived with my mom and sister. Mom and Dad were never married so that made me a bastard, a rather derogatory designation in those days. Dad was not around and I remember envying the other kids with their 'normal families'. Sister mostly took care of me as mom was always at work. However, sis was in her teens and often distracted, so I entertained myself a lot. I loved comic books and the huge grasshoppers in the back yard. I had a favorite record I played over and over.  I remember the day it broke and how upset I was.  I can't believe I found this song - the last time I heard it, I was a little guy. It's Jimmy Rodgers' Bim Bom Bay


 We didn't have a TV, but I did listen to an old-fashioned  radio and on the radio I listened to Superman -


Faster than a speeding bullet! More powerful than a locomotive! 
Able to leap tall buildings at a single bound! 
 "Look up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Superman!" 
 "Yes, it's Superman, strange visitor from another galaxy..

For those wanting the Superman TV intro hit- here you go:


I loved hearing those words. Still do. To my young mind, Superman was everything I wanted to be- strong, impervious to pain, a savior and he could fly! And the Superman comic books, oh what great adventures I had with them. The stories were magical and fun. At night I dreamt of flying-  over the treetops, over the town.  Sometimes I'd fly so high I'd get scared and wake up. 

At four years of age, I was a wee tiny guy -one day while walking down the street with my jean jacket draped over my shoulder, a strong wind caught hold of my jacket and sent it flying up into the sky. I jumped to grab it and the wind caught hold of my tiny body and moved me through the air. "I'm flying - I'm flying - I'm Superman!", I thought. What a thrill. From that day on I believed I could fly.

When mom was at work, I went to the day nursery. The nursery building was huge and austere.  Made of massive rock-like bricks, it felt like a World War II bunker. In back was the playground with swings, teeter totters and merry go-rounds. I spent many a day trying to balance myself on that teeter totter, standing on the wooden plank with one leg on each side of the fulcrum, trying to find that right spot... where ' teeter' meets' totter '. The merry go-round made me sick so I didn't like it. I did love the swings however. I could swing and swing and then jump ...and for that brief moment I was airborne. I was flying.

One day there was a surprise at the nursery school. Someone donated an old car for us kids to play with. It was an old 1940'ish black Chevy, stripped of seats, windows and wheels. I remember wishing it still had the seats. It didn't feel right having to stand-up and steer that car. But, here it was, right in the middle of the play yard. Many 'make-believe' miles registered on that old odometer with imagined speed chases, runaway gangster and the like. It was not long before a plan began to form in my fertile mind. What if I jumped off the top of that car, just like Superman and flew? This fantasy took hold of  me..."Today, today I will fly", I thought. Then I would chicken out.  Over and over, I repeated the mantra ..." Today, today, I will fly." Only to chicken out again and again. "What if it doesn't work", I thought? I might get hurt - "I don't like pain!"

But one day I found the courage. I climbed on the top of the car, I had a cape on (don't ask me where I got it, I don't know). I looked around, shy, not wanting anyone to see me. I jumped.. straight out like...well,  like Superman and I flew....    for about one second ....then gravity grabbed me and I did a  belly flop in the not so soft sand below-it hurt! I began to cry. I walked away from the car towards the fence. Some older girls saw me crying and began to console me. They asked me why was I crying.. too embarrassed to reveal the truth- I said an older kid hit me. The girls comforted me and I curled up in their inviting arms. To this day I don't know if my tears were tears of pain or tears of a dream unfulfilled. 

I do know Jonathan Louis picked up on my Superman connection. How? I don't know. No one else there knew my story. Why this incident, why Superman? I don't know that either. I can only speculate. Maybe my guides wanted me to know they are with me- always, even then, protecting an adventurous four-year old Superman wannabe. Perhaps on some deep level I must fly, not in the physical sense, rather spiritually. Or maybe I was just meant to have this experience with Jonathan remembering there are mysteries afoot in the world. Like I said who knows?  Jonathan told me many other remarkable things at those gatherings, but I can't tell you everything at once can I?  

4 comments:

  1. Superman is such an iconic symbol, Ron. I can well understand your identification with him as a youngster.

    I'm new to your blog via Ruth's blog, and I'm pleased to meet you here.

    I very much enjoy reading your story of childhood hopes and your dashed dreams - to fly like superman.

    I sometimes have the experience of being able to fly in my dreams. I suppose it's the closest I'll ever get to being like superman, and I'm a woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's something to pay attention to. I had many strange "coincidences" at the time of my brother's untimely death, and I tucked them away in my heart.

    I always felt that John Edwards was not quite for real, but i can't explain why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ruth - I'm slowly learning, the heart is the abode of all. Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elisabeth - thank you so much for your kind comment. I'm new in the blogging arena and it's a pleasure to connect with you. Keep on flying...

    ReplyDelete